As interventional and pain medicine specialists, we are always interested in ways to reduce oral narcotics. We recently started utilizing topical (applied to the skin) compounded pain creams for post-procedure, injection site pain and found that many of our patients found this approach to be very effective for their baseline pain as well. It works great on its own or in combination with other therapies. It has proven effective for back and neck pain, arthritis, different types of neuropathies, and even headaches resulting from occipital neuralgia or migraine.
The topical application of a custom compounded cream has many advantages, including:
- Delivers relief directly to pain receptors
- Minimizes absorption into the blood stream
- Blocks portions of the inflammatory cascade
- Provides prompt measurable and identifiable pain relief
- Produces fewer side effects
- Reduces the possibility of adverse drug interactions
- Formulations are non-addictive
- Reduces organ toxicity
- Improves patient compliance and outcomes
In addition, all medicinal ingredients are FDA approved.
There are other benefits of compounded topical medications as well. These include:
- Some people are allergic to certain inactive ingredients in a medication, such as a preservative or dye. With our specially prepared creams, we can eliminate allergic ingredients.
- For those who have difficulty swallowing pills, capsules or tablets, the topical application of a cream increases the likelihood patients will comply with treatment.
- If a patient has a hard-to-treat condition that doesn’t respond to off-the-shelf prescriptions
- An added benefit is that these preparations are generally covered by insurance carriers without preauthorization and do not entail much out of pocket expense for the patient. In addition, they are delivered right to your home. Please contact email@example.com if you would like additional information.